.

.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Eleanor's Birth

I want to make sure that E gets the same recognition as her siblings, so I wanted to go back and catch up on her birth since we missed posting it originally.

I had my regular check on the 5th. Had been getting high BP readings since the previous Friday and we decided to monitor them through the weekend. I was still getting high numbers in the office on Monday. He sent me to the hospital for induction at 10pm that night.


Induction was started with Cytotec, and pit started around 8am tues morning. Contractions came on strong and I decided to get the epidural around 1130 because otherwise I would have had to wait until anesthesiologist was done with 2 c-sections at 130. I'm not allowed to walk around due to BP issues, and laboring laying down is no fun... I was dilated to 9 around 1220 and my doctor was contacted and then on his way. About this time the baby's heart rate started to drop to 40-60bpm. Two nurses came in and started flipping me side to side to get it back up. Then my L&D nurse checked me and said it was bright red blood.  Luke and Mom both noticed something wasn't right. 

They called a category 3 for the baby and extra nurses from the nicu came in. Then someone asked if there was anyone in the hospital who could deliver me bc the baby needed to come now. There was no one.

The three nurses decided they were delivering the baby now. Pulled my legs up to rupture my water and it went everywhere!!!! They didn't even have me push with contractions--they just said to push. They were so encouraging and we all fought to get her out quickly.  It was really hard because I couldn't feel anything due to the epi--it was the strongest I've ever had--I couldn't feel my legs. I pushed a couple times, but had a hard time holding the push.  Then Luke counted the next several times and she came in about 6-8 pushes. She was very blue and the cord was around her neck once. She did not cry for a bit, he didn't get to cut the cord, and they took her straight over to the table. I remember praying over and over in my head that she be ok, and caring for nothing else happening in that room right then.... I can't even remember when they told me she was a girl... I cried and cried when she finally cried and they held her up for me to see her.  It still makes me choke up thinking about how close we were to losing her....

My doctor came about two min after she was out and said "I missed it!" He said he had run red lights but got stuck in traffic.

The placenta had some clotting which indicated it was detaching during labor. Which is also why the bright red bleeding. It was the scariest moment of my whole life and I feel those nurses saved our baby's life.

Eleanor Rae Proffitt is amazing!  She was born at 12:39pm on November 6, 2012.  She was our littlest at 6lb 3oz and 18.5 inches long.  I really felt she was going to be another boy--I'm officially awful at guessing babies' genders.... I've been wrong all three times now.  We don't have as many pictures from her birth since it was so fast but I will share a few.






No comments:

Post a Comment